- 30 days before submitting materials, the publisher should:
- notify the Coordinator of Assessment in the Secretariat of Evangelization and Catechesis, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, of intent to submit materials;
- include specifics about the texts and supplementary materials which will be submitted for review.
- When submitting materials, the publisher should:
- include four complete sets of materials to be reviewed (one set for each member of the review team and one set for Secretariat staff);
- package each set separately;
- include with each set of materials the publisher's own internal assessment of the materials, using the instrument for review entitled, Protocol for Assessing the Conformity of Catechetical Materials with the Catechism of the Catholic Church;
- if possible, mark the actual text of the materials where the specific protocol items are found;
- include a cover letter to the Subcommittee chair with each set of materials; in that cover letter it is helpful to also include any explanation of the materials which may be of assistance to the reviewers.
- During the review process:
- the publisher should anticipate six to twelve months for an initial review to be completed;
- the publisher may communicate with the staff of the Secretariat of Evangelization and Catechesis, but no progress report can be given until the initial review is completed;
- the Secretariat of Evangelization and Catechesis will maintain strict confidentiality about reviews in progress; it will not disclose to anyone what series or texts are under review; if an individual publisher wishes to make known that it has submitted material, the publisher is free to do so.
- After the initial review and action by the Subcommittee on the Catechism:
- the Subcommittee will communicate the results of the review to the publisher, with any required changes necessary for conformity;
- the publisher will have the opportunity to respond to the review and document how changes will be made;
- the amount of time for this additional work will vary according to the nature of the requirements;
- if the changes satisfactorily meet the requirements of the Subcommittee, a declaration of conformity will be issued to the publisher for the specific series or text reviewed; the declaration is to be placed on the copyright page of the specific text;
- the Subcommittee or the Secretariat will release copies of a review report to no one except the publisher who submitted the material; if a publisher wishes to release a conformity review report from the Subcommittee, it is free to do so provided the report is released in its entirety;
- unless the publisher requests differently, the Secretariat will make public the names of those series or texts that have received a declaration of conformity.
The publisher should note that the conformity review of the Subcommittee on the Catechism generally pertains to content only. Therefore, the declaration of conformity given to catechetical materials does not constitute an overall endorsement of any specific series or text by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
When submitting materials or writing to the Subcommittee, address correspondence to:
Archbishop Leonard P. Blair
Chair, Subcommittee on the Catechism
3211 4th Street, NE
Washington, DC 20017-1194
When contacting staff by mail, address correspondence to:
Secretariat of Evangelization & Catechesis
3211 4th Street, NE
Washington, DC 20017
FAX: (202) 541-3055