Thank you for your interest in the CSMG Diversity Outreach Initiative. The application period for this year is now closed (as of January 4, 2013).
The Catholic Social Ministry Gathering (CSMG) Diversity Outreach Initiative (DOI) seeks to identify leaders from diverse Catholic communities who will participate in the annual Catholic Social Ministry Gathering as a resource to:
- Share Catholic social teaching and action with their community and the broader Church.
- Cultivate strong relationships between social action offices, Catholic organizations, and diverse Catholic communities.
- Advance the social mission of the Church.
- Expand the pool of resources available to those working in social ministry in the Church.
This initiative expresses our commitment to strengthen the Church's social ministry, reflecting the gift of diversity in our community of faith by reaching out to Catholic ethnic, racial, and disability communities. Limited financial assistance is available. However, if applying for financial aid, such applicants should not register online until they receive written approval and registration instructions from the chairperson of the CSMG DOI Committee. (Also see FAQ #6.)
- What are the goals and desired outcomes of the DOI?
- Who can participate in the DOI?
- What is the process for nominating a person for financial assistance?
- What expenses would financial assistance cover?
- When should I register for the Gathering if I need financial assistance?
- Information for CSMG Partners
1. What are the goals and desired outcomes of the DOI?
- Help the CSMG to reflect more fully the rich diversity of the Church.
- Identify leaders from diverse Catholic communities who will share Catholic social teaching and action with their community and the broader Church.
- Cultivate strong, long-term relationships of mutual respect between diocesan social action offices and offices that minister to ethnic, racial and disability communities within the Church.
- Advance the social mission of the Church by partnering more closely with groups that often are on the receiving end of charitable funding, services and outreach.
- Expand resources available to all who are working in social ministry in the Church.
2. Who can participate in DOI?
- Anyone who plans to promote or attend the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering.
- Leaders from under-represented ethnic, racial and disability communities working in Catholic institutions, parishes, schools, and social service agencies.
- Priority will be given to a new CSMG participant who is a leader that (1) currently works with a national CSMG partner or diocesan social action office or (2) meets the diversity criteria in this initiative and lives in a USCCB designated home mission diocese.
- Participants who previously attended the gathering as a recipient of financial aid may re-apply and receive funds assuming funds are available and they demonstrate a working relationship with a CSMG partner or diocesan social action office.
DOI participants must be nominated by, or have their self-nomination endorsed by, a diocesan social action director or a staff member of a CSMG partner organization. See the DOI Participant Financial Assistance Form.
3. What is the process for nominating a person for financial assistance?
Social action directors and others who wish to nominate individuals from an ethnic, racial or disability community should complete the DOI Participant Nomination Form. DOI application forms should be emailed as a PDF to Yolanda Taylor-Burwell at email@example.com or faxed to her attention at 202-541-3185. Note: Self-nominations are acceptable, but require the endorsement of a diocesan social action director or CSMG partner representative.
4. What expenses would financial assistance cover?
Individuals are urged to fund their participation to the fullest extent possible through their own resources, and/or with the support of their DOI partner. Funds may be applied to cover the cost of registration and/or hotel accommodations. We do not expect to cover transportation or incidental expenses.
5. When should I register for the Gathering if I need financial assistance?
- Do not register for the CSMG prior to receiving written approval of financial assistance and separate registration instructions for DOI participants.You will then be registered at a discounted rate (equivalent to the early registration fee).
- Participants will not be reimbursed if they register for the CSMG in advance of receiving written approval of DOI financial assistance.
- Applicants will be notified of the status of financial assistance requests in January 2013.
6. INFORMATION FOR CSMG SPONSORS & PARTNERS (ways to support DOI):
- Identify leader(s) from diverse ethnic, racial and/or disability groups, and encourage them to attend the CSMG.
- Nominate potential recipient(s) to receive financial aid to attend the CSMG (by submitting a DOI Financial Assistance Form).
- Check the box during online registration for the CSMG to indicate your interest in supporting this initiative. You may be asked to participate in a simple survey or otherwise furnish feedback to the DOI planning committee.
- Give a financial or in-kind donation to support the DOI.
- Share this message with others.