All answers are based on the Old Testament of the New American Bible, Revised Edition.
- Which of the following is NOT a son of Jacob?
- The Songs of the Suffering Servant are found in the book written by which prophet?
- How many books are there in the Old Testament?
- What is another name for the Pentateuch?
- Which prophet uses his marriage as a metaphor for the relationship between God and his people?
- What city’s destruction is described in Chapter 6 of the Book of Joshua? (Hint: The children of Israel marched around the city walls for six days and on the seventh day, the walls collapsed.)
- This queen of Persia saved the Jewish people from a plot to destroy them:
- How many plagues did the Lord bring upon the Egyptians so that they would let the Israelites depart?
- The story of Samson and Delilah is found in which book of the Bible?
- I Kings
- II Maccabees
- The first three kings of Israel, in order, were:
- David, Solomon, Saul
- Solomon, Saul, David
- David, Ahaz, Solomon
- Saul, David, Solomon
- Which king of Israel was renowned for his wisdom?
- Elijah defended the Lord against the prophets of which pagan god?
- Judith is known for what action?
- Prophesying in the court of Nebuchadnazzar
- Saving the Jewish people by killing Holofernes
- Giving birth to Solomon
- Writing a book of religious poetry
- Whose fidelity to the Lord did Satan test by a series of trials?
- The Book of Proverbs advises its readers to seek what thing of value?
- The Song of Songs includes poetic dialogue between what two people?
- A mother and a daughter
- A father and a son
- A prophet and a king
- A bride and a groom
- Which prophet resists his call because he thinks he is too young?
- To avoid God’s call to preach repentance, Jonah does which of the following?
- Hides in a mountain cave
- Boards a ship sailing to a different city
- Pretends he has laryngitis
- Moves to Egypt
- From which book of the Bible does the phrase “seeing the handwriting on the wall” come?
- Which book of the Old Testament is shortest?
Less than 5 correct: It’s time to brush up on your Bible knowledge.
It is not by bread alone that people live, but by all that comes forth from the mouth of the Lord. (Dt 8:3)
6-10 correct: Try setting aside some time each week for spiritual reading.
Every word of God is tested; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. (Prv 30:5)
11-15 correct: Not bad, but could be better.
For the Lord’s word is upright; all his works are trustworthy. (Ps 33:4)
16-19 correct: Looking good!
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light for my path. (Ps 119:105)
20 correct: Wow! Have you considered volunteering to assist your parish as a catechist or other minister of the Word?
So shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth;
It shall not return to me empty, but shall do what pleases me,
achieving the end for which I sent it. (Is 55:11)
1.b, 2.c, 3.a, 4.c, 5.b, 6.d, 7.b, 8.a, 9.c, 10.d, 11.b, 12.a, 13.b, 14.b, 15.c, 16.d, 17.a, 18.b, 19.d, 20.b