CSMG Legislative Priorities.
On February 26, 2018, Catholic Social Ministry Gathering participants advocate on the Hill. The following Hill Notes and Backgrounders prepare you to effectively articulate the Catholic position on the following legislative priorities:
2018 Message to Congress: Make Poor and Vulnerable People a Priority in the Federal Budget
International Legislative Priority
Preserve and Strengthen Poverty-Reducing International Assistance
- Preserve funding to at least FY 2017 levels for poverty-focused international development and humanitarian programs that save lives, address the root causes of conflicts, and reduce crushing poverty.
- Increase funding to humanitarian accounts (International Disaster Assistance, Migration and Refugee Assistance and Food for Peace) to assist the record number of 65 million forcibly displaced persons in the world, including 21 million refugees.
- Maintain strong and vibrant investments in diplomacy and development to help developing countries build peaceful and prosperous societies.
Domestic Legislative PriorityPreserve the Social Safety Net
- Preserve funding to health care programs that provide a social safety net to the poor and to seniors.
- Preserve funding to nutrition programs that alleviate hunger.
- Increase the value of the housing tax credit and protect tenant-based rental assistance and other housing assistance mechanisms from cuts.
Joint Legislative Priority
Providing Protection to Dreamers
- Provide a path to citizenship for these youths.
- Recognize the sanctity of families and continue to protect children.
- Recognize the right of nations to control their borders and balance this right with that of individuals to migrate and seek protection.
Background MaterialsBackgrounder on Colombia
Backgrounder on Cuba
Backgrounder on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
Backgrounder on the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Backgrounder on the Importance of the Social Safety Net
Backgrounder on Nuclear Weapons
Backgrounder on Root Causes of Migration
Backgrounder on Trade