CSMG Legislative Priorities. On February 5, 2019, Catholic Social Ministry Gathering participants advocate on the Hill. The following Catholic Message to Congress and Backgrounders prepare you to effectively articulate the Catholic position on the following legislative priorities:
2019 Message to Congress
International Legislative Priority
Preserve and Strengthen Poverty-Reducing International Assistance
- Preserve funding for FY 2020 to at least FY 2019 levels for poverty-reducing development and humanitarian programs that save lives, address the root causes of conflicts, and reduce crushing poverty.
- Maintain strong and vibrant investments in diplomacy to help developing countries build peaceful and prosperous societies.
- Reintroduce and pass the Global Fragility and Violence Reduction Act to increase and improve the United States' ability to deploy diplomatic and good governance resources to prevent the outbreak of violent conflict.
Domestic Legislative Priority
- Preserve funding to nutrition programs that alleviate hunger.
- Invest in affordable housing.
- Support environmental stewardship.
Joint Legislative Priority
Setting spending priorities: avoid severe and unnecessary cuts to domestic and international programs that assist the poor and vulnerable.
Protect Dreamers and Temporary Protected Status holders and provide a path to permanency and citizenship.
Find a bipartisan solution to protect dreamers that offers a path to citizenship.
Find a permanent legal solution for TPS holders.
Maintain protections for unaccompanied children and asylum seekers.
Backgrounder on Conflict and Catholic Peacebuilding
Backgrounder on Dreamers and Temporary Protected Status
Backgrounder on Immigration
Backgrounder on the Importance of the Social Safety Net
Backgrounder on International Assistance and Diplomacy
Backgrounder on International Religious Freedom
Backgrounder on Korean Peninsula: Nuclear Disarmament / De-escalation of Conflict
Backgrounder on Paid Family Leave
Backgrounder on Predatory Lending
Backgrounder on Two State Solution in the Holy Land
Labor Day Statement 2018