How to Sponsor a Refugee Relative

There are many avenues in which refugees can petition for family members to join them in the U.S.  The Affidavit of Relationship is tied to the P3 Family Reunification Program in which certain refugees can be resettled under the Reception and Placement Program.  The I-730 Relative/Ayslee Relative Petition can be filed for relatives to come to the U.S. who are not eligible for the family reunification program.  Additionally, anchor relatives of religious minorities living in Iran can file the Refugee Information Form to bring their family members to the U.S. for resettlement. 

Please note, persons who misrepresent the facts on these forms or knowingly assist someone to misrepresent the facts are committing fraud and may be prosecuted under U.S. law. 

To file any of these documents, contact the local refugee resettlement office nearest you. 

The Affidavit of Relationship (AOR)

Certain refugees may be eligible for resettlement in the U.S. under the P3 Family Reunification Program.  Under this program, refugees of specific nationalities are eligible for reunification with family in the U.S.  The list of eligible nationalities is determined each fiscal year by the President.  Currently, the P3 Program is suspended until further notice as the U.S. Department of State addresses issues of fraudulent family claims.

When the P3 program resumes, Anchor relatives, or family members in the U.S. may petition for their eligible refugee relatives to join them by filing an Affidavit of Relationship (AOR).  Once the AOR has been processed, the refugee overseas must be determined eligible for U.S. resettlement by the Department of Homeland Security and undergo a medical screening and security clearance before to being processed for resettlement in the U.S.  The AOR is filed with assistance from the local resettlement program

I-730 Petition (Refugee/Asylee Follow To Join)



Refugees and Asylees, or Lawful Permanent Residents who entered the United States as a refugee or asylee, may apply for relatives to join them using the I-730 Relative/Asylee Relative Petition.  (Naturalized citizens may file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative for relatives to join them in the U.S.)  The I-730 is a USCIS form and must be filed with them within two years of the petitioning refugee's admission to the U.S.   Local resettlement programs  or local CLINIC affiliates can assist in the filing of the I-730.  Visit the USCIS Web site to get more information.

Refugee Information Form


The Refugee Information Form (RIF) is filed by an anchor relative in the U.S. on the behalf of an Iranian of a religious minority living in Iran for resettlement in the U.S.  Individuals of the Baha'I, Christian, Jewish, Mandean, and Zoroastrian faiths are eligible to benefit from this form under the P2 Resettlement Program.   The RIF is filed with assistance from the local resettlement program.