WASHINGTON- This fall, the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (CCD) has awarded $107,896 in grants to fund six projects that support the goals of the CCD to promote Catholic biblical literacy and Catholic biblical interpretation. These grants are funded by royalties received from the publication of the New American Bible and its derivative works, which the CCD develops, publishes, promotes, and distributes.
The CCD works exclusively with the Catholic Biblical Association (CBA) to offer these grants, accepting applications only from the CBA, its designees, and its full and associate members. The CBA's purpose is to promote scholarly study in Scripture and related fields in fidelity to Dei Verbum, the document of the Second Vatican Council that states that God reveals truth through Scripture and Tradition.
The six projects sponsored by the CCD are as follows:
• $24,120 to Joachim Eck of École biblique et archéologique française de Jérusalem (Israel) and Katholische Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt (Germany) to support his research project, Creation in the Book of Psalms. Textual Evidence, Language and Concepts, Poetic Structures, Meaning and Functions in Context.
• $14,500 to Gregory Glazov of Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology, to support the creation of an online searchable database of scripture citations in Jewish and Christian, predominantly Catholic, writings on the Holocaust.
• $15,000 to Barbara Jean Daly Horell of the Archdiocese of Hartford, for the creation of a biblical literacy curriculum to be offered throughout the archdiocese.
• $32,748 to Brian Yong Lee of Sacred Heart Seminary (Hales Corners, WI) to support research for a book entitled, Forgiveness, Justice, and Faith in Early Christianity.
• $11,268 to Michael J. Stahl of the University of Florida, for support of a research project on Monotheism and Empire: Yahweh, Baal, and the Politics of Divinity in Biblical Historiography.
• $10,250 to Archie T. Wright of Regent University’s School of Divinity, for support of a research project on The Satan Figure and His role in the Problem of Evil in the Ancient World.
Keywords: United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, USCCB, Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, CCD, Catholic biblical literacy, Catholic biblical interpretation, Catholic Biblical Association, CBA.
Chieko Noguchi or Miguel Guilarte
The best of the USCCB,
right in your inbox
Sign Up for Our Email Newsletter