U.S. Bishops to Elect New Committee Chairmen at Plenary Assembly in November
When the U.S. bishops gather in November for their Fall Plenary Assembly (November 13-16), they will elect a new Secretary, as well as Chairmen for six standing committees for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).
WASHINGTON – When the U.S. bishops gather in November for their Fall Plenary Assembly (November 13-16), they will elect a new Secretary, as well as Chairmen for six standing committees for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).
The Conference Secretary, who also serves as the Chairman of the Committee on Priorities and Plans, is up for a vote due to the fact that Archbishop Paul S. Coakley of Oklahoma City was elected during the bishops’ 2022 Fall Plenary Assembly to complete the term left vacant when Archbishop Timothy P. Broglio of the Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA, who was serving as USCCB Secretary, was elected Conference President. The bishops elected will each serve for one year as Chairmen-elect of the respective committees before beginning a three-year term as Chairmen at the conclusion of the Fall Plenary Assembly in 2024.
USCCB SECRETARY-ELECT / CHAIRMAN-ELECT, COMMITTEE ON PRIORITIES AND PLANS
- Archbishop Paul S. Coakley, Archdiocese of Oklahoma City
- Archbishop Alexander K. Sample, Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon
The nominees for Chairman-elect of the standing committees are as follows (alphabetical order):
COMMITTEE ON CATHOLIC EDUCATION
- Bishop James D. Conley, Diocese of Lincoln
- Bishop David M. O’Connell, Diocese of Trenton
COMMITTEE ON COMMUNICATIONS
- Bishop William D. Byrne, Diocese of Springfield in Massachusetts
- Archbishop Christopher J. Coyne, coadjutor, Archdiocese of Hartford
COMMITTEE ON CULTURAL DIVERSITY IN THE CHURCH
- Bishop Robert J. Brennan, Diocese of Brooklyn
- Bishop Earl K. Fernandes, Diocese of Columbus
COMMITTEE ON DOCTRINE
- Bishop John F. Doerfler, Diocese of Marquette
- Bishop James Massa, auxiliary bishop, Diocese of Brooklyn
COMMITTEE ON NATIONAL COLLECTIONS
- Bishop W. Shawn McKnight, Diocese of Jefferson City
- Bishop Daniel H. Mueggenborg, Diocese of Reno
COMMITTEE ON PRO-LIFE ACTIVITIES*
- Archbishop Salvatore J. Cordileone, Archdiocese of San Francisco
- Bishop Daniel E. Thomas, Diocese of Toledo
*Bishop Michael F. Burbidge of Arlington was elected as the Chairman of the Committee on Pro-Life Activities during the November 2022 plenary to complete the term left vacant when Archbishop William E. Lori of Baltimore was elected Conference Vice President.