Letter to CEM on Expulsions of Priests, November 6, 1995
November 6, 1995
Most Reverend Ramón Godínez Flores
Auxiliary Bishop of Guadalajara
General Secretary of the C.E. M.
Apartado Postal 118-055
07020 Mexico, D.F.
Dear Bishop Godínez,
I write both to thank you for the letter sent by you and Archbishop Obeso to Interior Secretary Chauyffet concerning the expulsion of several priests from the Diocese of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, and to bring you up to date on what has been done in this country in behalf of Fathers Loren Riebe and Paul Nadolny, SVD.
Enclosed are copies of the following:
- Letter of July 12, 1995 from Bishop Daniel P. Reilly, Chairman, Committee on International Policy, to Ambassador Jesús Silva Herzog.
- Letter of October 17, 1995 from Cardinal William Keeler to Fr. Felipe Toussaint, Vicar General of the Diocese of San Cristóbal de Las Casas.
- Letter of October 24, 1995 from Cardinal Roger Mahony to President Zedillo.
- Letter of November 3, 1995 from Cardinal Keeler to Fr. Paul Nadolny, SVD.
- Catholic News Services story of October 25, 1995 summarizing various activities.
It is our hope that both Father Riebe and Father Nadolny will soon be allowed to return to their parishes. With this note, I want simply to express our gratitude to the C.E. M. for your continuing efforts to find an appropriate solution to the very complex and difficult problems that the Diocese of San Cristóbal is experiencing.
With all best wishes, I remain
Respectfully yours in Christ,
Rev. Msgr. Dennis M. Schnurr