Listed are all of the past World Meetings of Families. More information on the two most recent World Meetings of Families can be found below this list.
- The 10th World Meeting will be held in Rome in June 2022 on the theme "Family love: vocation and path of holiness."
- Pope Francis - 9th World Meeting: 22-26 August 2018. Dublin, Ireland. “The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World.”
- Pope Francis - 8th World Meeting: 26-27 September 2015. Philadelphia, USA. “Love is our mission: The family fully alive.”
- Pope Benedict XVI - 7th World Meeting: 2-3 June 2012. Milan, Italy. “Family, Work & Celebration.”
- Pope Benedict XVI* - 6th World Meeting: 17-18 January 2009. Mexico City, Mexico. “The Family: Teacher of Human and Christian Values.” *Pope Benedict XVI (via TV link)
- Pope Benedict XVI - 5th World Meeting: 8-9 July 2006. Valencia, Spain. “Handing on the Faith in the Family.”
- St. John Paul II* - 4th World Meeting: 25-26 January 2003. Manila (Philippines). “The Christian Family: Good News for the Third Millennium.” *St. John Paul II (via TV link)
- St. John Paul II - 3rd World Meeting: 14-15 October 2000. Rome, Italy. In the context of the Great Jubilee of 2000, “Children: Springtime of the Family and of the Church.”
- St. John Paul II - 2nd World Meeting: 4-5 October 1997. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. “The Family: Gift and Commitment, the hope of humanity.”
- St. John Paul II - 1st World Meeting: 8-9 October 1994. Rome, Italy. In the context of the Year of the Family, “The Family, the Heart of the Civilization of Love.”
Dublin, Ireland 2018
This was the first World Meeting of Families since the release of Amoris Laetitia, the 2016 apostolic exhortation by Pope Francis which is the inspiration for the theme and content of the WMOF. It was coordinated by the new Dicastery for the Laity, Family, and Life. It was presided by Cardinal K Farrell. The Holy Father was present at points during the Meeting.
There were four main elements of the Meeting:
- A pre-catechesis on the theme, "The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World"
- A Theological Pastoral Congress from August 22 through August
- A celebration of the Feast of Families on Saturday, August 25
- A closing Solemn Mass on Sunday, August 26
The full WMOF catechesis, "The Joy of Love: Six-Session Parish Conversation," is now available online.
Letter from the Holy Father Pope Francis on the occasion of IX World Meeting of Families
Philadelphia, USA 2015
From September 22 to 27, 2015, families from around the world gathered in Philadelphia to pray, learn, and celebrate the gift of the family.
Click here to see Pope Francis' schedule for his U.S. apostolic visit, including to the World Meeting of Families.
Links on the USCCB For Your Marriage website
Official 2015 World Meeting of Families Prayer
God and Father of us all,
in Jesus, your Son and our Savior,
you have made us
your sons and daughters
in the family of the Church.
May your grace and love
help our families
in every part of the world
be united to one another
in fidelity to the Gospel.
May the example of the Holy Family,
with the aid of your Holy Spirit,
guide all families, especially those most troubled,
to be homes of communion and prayer
and to always seek your truth and live in your love.
Through Christ our Lord,
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, pray for us!