Mandate and Goals for the Committee
The committee assists the bishops of the Latin Church, both collectively and individually, in fulfilling their roles as priests and leaders of the worshiping community, especially with the translation of liturgical text and the development of guidelines for the celebration of the Mass and the sacraments. The committee addresses in a particular way prayer and worship within culturally diverse communities.
This mandate includes the following areas of responsibility: For the Latin Church, liturgical practice within the United States, translation and adaptation of liturgical texts, sacred music, charismatic renewal, and national shrines.
Key Mission Responsibilities
- Translating, adapting, reviewing, and promoting liturgical texts, especially for the Mass and the celebration of the sacraments;
- Developing pastoral practices and guidelinesfor various liturgical questions and issues, including musical settings and adaptations for use in culturally diverse communities of the Church in the United States;
- Reviewing liturgical participation aids and musical settings;
- Responding to specific questions from bishops and providing information when requested to bishops and diocesan offices; and
- Collaborating with USCCB Communications in the publications of liturgical text and rituals
Key Mission Relationships
- With related committees and offices of the USCCB, especially the Committees on Doctrine and Cultural Diversity in the Church;
- With dioceses and national liturgical groups with regard to guidelines and consultation;
- With the Holy See;
- With the body of bishops in regard to the relationship with ICEL; and
- With other USCCB committees and offices that request review and consultation