1. What is the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
The Catholic Social Ministry Gathering is an annual conference organized by USCCB's Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development in collaboration with 16 other national Catholic organizations and other departments of the U. S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. It is rooted in the Word of God, the Sacraments, and the Church’s living Catholic social tradition. The Gathering builds solidarity, knowledge, and skills among social ministry leaders in local dioceses, religious congregations, Catholic educational institutions, and other national Catholic organizations. Together, we live and share the Church’s social mission for the common good and the evangelization of the world.
2. What is the purpose of the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
The purposes of the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering are:
- to share and apply Catholic Social teaching
- to share information and strategies on priority domestic and international issues affecting the life and dignity of the human person
- to prepare and organize participants to carry the message on issues both to Congress in Washington, D.C., and to constituencies and political leaders in their home arch/dioceses
- to deepen and strengthen participants efforts to develop leadership and capacity at the diocesan and parish level by sharing Catholic social teaching, providing workshops on skills and strategies, and by sharing materials and activities that are useful at the local level
- to gather in the context of the Catholic social tradition to teach, pray, and celebrate the work and accomplishments we share
3. Who should attend the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
Leaders whose work is to advocate for social justice issues as part of Catholic communities and organizations including dioceses, parishes, educational institutions, or other local or national Catholic groups.
4. Where is the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering held?
The Gathering is held in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, which makes it convenient for participants to travel to Capitol Hill for their lobby visit(s). CSMG 2020 will be held at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. The hotel is located at 2500 Calvert Street N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008 (Phone: 202-234-0700).
5. Why is CSMG held at a large hotel?
In addition to convenient access to Capitol Hill via Metro, CSMG planners selected the Omni Shoreham Hotel because it is one of the few hotels in the Washington, D.C. area that works constructively with unions to create fair working conditions and can accommodate a conference of more than 500 participants.
6. Why should I stay at the conference hotel when there are less expensive hotels in the Washington, D.C. area?
Our staff have negotiated and contracted special discounted group rate for CSMG participants. Like all hotel-based conferences, we are required to meet commitments on the number of hotel guess in order to keep down overall costs for the conference from year to year. Staying at the hotel helps participants get the most out of our few days together, and contributes to the future viability of CSMG.
7. When is the Gathering held?
The Gathering is held early each year at a time when Congress is in session, and close to the time of the President's annual "State of the Union" address. Usually this means that CSMG occurs in January/February. The months of January to March are a common time that churches and other networks conduct advocacy visits to Congress so that these visits can have optimal effect on national policy.
8. What are the dates for the next Gathering?
2020 -- the dates for CSMG are from Saturday, January 25 through Tuesday, January 28, 2020.
1. When is registration open?
On-line registration for CSMG 2020 opens in October 2019 and continues through Tuesday, January 7, 2020. After that point registration will be possible on-site at the Gathering. Please be aware that the registration rate increases on November 16 and again on December 17, and the special reduced hotel room rate cut-off date is January 7, 2020.
2. What are the registration fees for the Gathering?
Registration fees for the entire Gathering range from $350 to $510, depending on the date of registration. Rates for single-day(s) registration are also available. See the schedule of fees below.
Through Nov. 15, 2019
Nov. 16, 2019 –
Dec. 31, 2019
Jan. 1, 2020 --
Jan. 7, 2020
(on-site only after Jan. 7)
(January 25 - 28, 2020)
|Saturday Jan. 25
|Sunday Jan. 26
|Monday Jan. 27
|Tuesday Jan. 28
*Additional fees may apply to register for some pre-Gathering meetings and events.
3. How should I register for the Gathering?
Participants can choose either registration for the entire Gathering (Saturday – Tuesday) or registration for individual days of the Gathering. Participants are strongly encouraged to register for the entire Gathering, and to participate in our state delegation advocacy visits to Capitol Hill on Tuesday, January 28.
4. What is Gathering registration?
Gathering registration fees include admittance to most events, meetings, and meal functions taking place from the afternoon of Saturday, January 25, 2020 through Tuesday, January 28, 2020, with the following exceptions: any event listed in the agenda or Program Book as limited to a particular group or by invitation only, and additional fees may also apply for some pre-Gathering events organized by CSMG collaborating organizations.
5. What is daily Gathering registration?
Daily Registration allows attendees to register for activities by particular day(s) of the Gathering. Daily Registration fees range from $135.00 to $215.00 per day, depending on which day of the Gathering is selected, and the date on which registration is completed.
6. What is a pre-Gathering meeting?
Pre-Gathering meetings are an opportunity for national Catholic organizations collaborating in presenting CSMG to meet with their membership to plan, learn, strategize, share, organize, and celebrate their efforts. At CSMG 2020 pre-Gathering meetings will occur in the morning and afternoon of Saturday, January 25. Pre-Gathering meetings are not directly associated with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and the organizations presenting pre-Gathering meetings are solely responsible for the content of their meetings.
7. Who should attend pre-Gathering meetings?
Pre-Gathering meetings are intended for persons who are colleagues, members, or guests of one or more of the national Catholic organizations collaborating in presenting CSMG. The topics of pre-Gathering meetings are often somewhat more specialized than the general program for CSMG.
8. This is my first time attending CSMG – will there be an orientation or training for new participants?
Yes, if this will be your first time at the Gathering it is strongly recommended that you attend the First-Time Participants Orientation on the afternoon of Saturday, January 25th, from 1:30 - 2:00 p.m. This will be immediately followed by Advocacy Training 101, which will assist those who are not very familiar with legislative advocacy in developing basic foundations and skills.
9. How can I register for the Gathering?
Online registration will be open through Tuesday, January 7, 2020. The preferred payment is by credit card but additional considerations will be given for checks on a case by case basis (if checks are accepted they must be mailed and postmarked no later than Tuesday, January 7, 2020). Register today!
10. Can I register a group of people?
Yes, there is an option to register a group of people at one time. Please see special instructions within online registration for individuals registering three or more participants and covering all fees with one payment. For more information please contact CSMG Registration (844-293-7034).
11. What forms of payment are accepted?
We accept payment by credit card (MasterCard and Visa only) or checks (personal and organization checks). Check payments are to be made payable to "CSMG 2020," and must be postmarked no later than Tuesday, January 7, 2020. Any request for cancellation of CSMG 2020 registration must be received by Friday, December 27, 2019 to be eligible for a refund. A $50.00 administrative fee will be deducted in cases of refunds (or $20.00 for pre-Gathering meetings/events). If you have questions about payment for registration, please contact CSMG Registration (844-293-7034).
1. How do I make my hotel reservations?
Participants are responsible for making their own hotel reservations by visiting Omni Reservations online or by phoning 1-800-843-6664 and mentioning the "2020 Catholic Social Ministry Gathering."
2. What are the hotel rates for the Gathering?
Our preferred conference hotel room rate per night is $189.00 (single/double rate), $209.00 (triple rate), $229.00 (quad. rate) plus 14.8% D.C. sales tax. These rates are not guaranteed after Monday, January 7, 2020.
3. What is the cut-off date for making hotel reservations using the preferred conference rate?
The cut-off date for the CSMG preferred conference hotel room rate is Tuesday, January 7, 2020. Attendees are strongly encouraged to register for the Gathering and reserve their hotel room as soon as possible. To reserve your hotel room, call 1-800-843-6664 or go online to Omni Reservations.
4. Whom should I contact to modify or cancel my hotel registration?
To modify or cancel your hotel reservations contact Omni Reservations (1-800-843-6664).
1. What airports are most convenient for attending CSMG 2020?
There are three airports in the Washington, D.C. area:
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) is located approximately 7 miles from downtown Washington, D.C.
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) is located approximately 29 miles from downtown Washington D.C.
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) is located approximately 38 miles from downtown Washington, D.C. Trains run regularly between BWI and downtown Washington.
2. How will I get to the Gathering from the airport?
Listed below are several modes of ground transportation to the get to the Gathering. Please note all service rates are subject to change without notice.
From Washington Reagan National Airport
- Driving: Follow the signs to Washington D.C. (George Washington Parkway). Take I-395 North to Route 1 (Route 1 is the 14th Street Bridge). Merge to the far-left lane on the bridge and follow the signs for 14th Street. Take 14th Street for 1 mile. Turn left onto K Street. Continue on K for 5 blocks. Turn right onto Connecticut. Avenue. Follow Connecticut Avenue for 1 mile. Cross over the William Taft Bridge. Turn left at Calvert St. and the hotel is 1 block up on the left.
- Metrorail (D.C.'s subway system): Look for the "Metro" signs in the airport. Purchase a ticket with sufficient fare to reach the Woodley Park Station (approximately $3.05 one-way non-rush hour; $4.15 one-way rush hour). Take the Yellow line in the direction of Ft. Totten/Mt. Vernon. Change at Gallery Place Station to the Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove. Exit at the Woodley Park/Zoo Station. The hotel is located approximately 2 blocks from the Metro. Once you have exited the Metro via the escalators walk south (downhill) on Connecticut Ave. one block to the intersection of Calvert Street. After crossing the intersection, turn right on Calvert Street and proceed to the Omni Shoreham Hotel on the left. Check with WMATA for more information.
- Taxi: Taxis are available outside the baggage claim area. The fare is approximately $25.00 - $30.00 (one-way).
- Shuttle Service: Super Shuttle vans are available at all three Metropolitan Airports. Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 1-800-258-3826 (1-800-BLUE-VAN), for more information.
From Dulles International Airport
- Driving: Follow the signs to Interstate 66 east to Washington. Follow I-66 to the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge (US Route 50). Take the Constitution Ave exit off the bridge. Continue on Constitution for 6 blocks and left turn onto 17th Street. This will change to Connecticut Avenue for 1 mile. Cross over the William Taft Bridge. Turn left at Calvert Street and the hotel will be on left.
- Rail/Bus/Shuttle: From the Dulles International Airport, connect to Metrorail using Metrobus. The Silver Line Express schedule can be found at http://www.flydulles.com/iad/silver-line-express-bus-metrorail-station. The Washington Flyer bus is $5 each way to the Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station on the Silver Line. Please see bus schedule by clicking on the link above. Super Shuttle vans are available at all three Metropolitan Airports. Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 1-800-258-3826 (1-800-BLUE-VAN), for more information.
From Thurgood Marshall/Baltimore Washington International Airport
- Driving: Take I-95 South to I-495 West. Take Exit 33, Connecticut Ave. Southbound. Continue on Connecticut Avenue for about 6.5 miles. Just after passing the Woodley Park Metro Stop, turn right at Calvert Street and the hotel will be on the left.
- Train and Metrorail: Take the free shuttle from the Airport to BWI Marshall Rail Station and take the AMTRAK or MARC rail services to Union Station. Once at Union Station, take the Metro (Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove) to Woodley Park/Zoo/Adams Morgan stop. The train fare will include approximately $6 for MARC ($15 for Amtrak) and $1.75 for Metro. The hotel is located approximately 2 blocks from the Metro. Once you have exited the Metro via the escalators walk south (downhill) on Connecticut Avenue one block to the intersection with Calvert Street. After crossing the intersection, turn right on Calvert Street and proceed to the Omni Shoreham Hotel on your left. Check with WMATA for more information.
- Taxi: Fares to the hotel are approximately $75.00 - 100.00 (one-way).
- Rail/Bus/Shuttle: Connect to Metrorail using Metrobus. The B30 bus ($6 one-way, cash only) takes you to Greenbelt station on the Green Line. As this is the end of the line, take any train in the direction of Washington, D.C. Then change at Gallery Place Station to the Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove. Exit at the Woodley Park/Zoo Station. The hotel is located approximately 2 blocks from the Metro. Once you have exited the Metro via the escalators walk south (downhill) on Connecticut Avenue one block to the intersection with Calvert Street. After crossing the intersection, turn right on Calvert Street and proceed to the Omni Shoreham Hotel on your left. Check with WMATA for more information. Super Shuttle vans are available at the all three Metropolitan Airports. Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 1-800-258-3826 (1-800-BLUE-VAN), for more information.
Cancellations & Refunds
1. Will I be able to cancel my meeting registration?
Any request for cancellation of CSMG 2020 registration must be received by Friday, December 27, 2019 to be eligible for a refund. Refund requests or questions should be directed to CSMG Registration (844-293-7034).
2. Is there a processing fee for canceling my registration?
A $50.00 administrative fee will be deducted in cases of refunds (or $20.00 for pre-Gathering meetings/events).
3. If I paid with a credit card, will the refund be issued to my credit card?
Yes, refunds will be made to any credit card by which payment was made, minus the administrative fee.
4. How long will it take to receive a refund?
Refund requests received before the deadline will be processed within 7-10 business days.
5. Can I cancel my hotel reservation?
Contact Omni Reservations directly to cancel your hotel reservation (1-800-843-6664).