What is the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
The Catholic Social Ministry Gathering is an annual conference organized by USCCB's Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development in collaboration with 20 other national Catholic organizations and 10 other departments of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. It is rooted in the Word of God, the Sacraments, and the Church’s living Catholic social tradition. The Gathering builds solidarity, knowledge, and skills among social ministry leaders in local dioceses, religious congregations, Catholic educational institutions, and other national Catholic organizations. Together, we live and share the Church’s social mission for the common good and the evangelization of the world.
What is the purpose of the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
The purposes of the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering are:
- to share and apply Catholic Social teaching
- to share information and strategies on priority domestic and international issues affecting the life and dignity of the human person
- to prepare and organize participants to carry the message on issues both to Congress in Washington, D.C., and to constituencies and political leaders in their home arch/dioceses
- to deepen and strengthen participants efforts to develop leadership and capacity at the diocesan and parish level by sharing Catholic social teaching, providing workshops on skills and strategies, and by sharing materials and activities that are useful at the local level
- to gather in the context of the Catholic social tradition to teach, pray, and celebrate the work and accomplishments we share
Who should attend the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
Leaders and emerging leaders who seek to advocate for social justice issues as part of Catholic communities and organizations including dioceses, parishes, educational institutions, or other local or national Catholic groups.
Where is the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering held?
The Gathering is normally held in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, which makes it convenient for participants to travel to Capitol Hill for their lobby visit(s). In 2023, CSMG will be back in person and will be held at the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill located at 400 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, 20001.
Why is CSMG held at a large hotel?
In addition to convenient access to Capitol Hill via Metro, CSMG planners selected the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill Hotel because it is one of the few hotels in the Washington, D.C. area that works constructively with unions to create fair working conditions and can accommodate a conference of more than 500 participants.
Why should I stay at the conference hotel when there are less expensive hotels in the Washington DC area?
Our staff has negotiated and contracted a special discounted group rate for CSMG participants. Like all hotel-based conferences, we are required to meet commitments on the number of hotel guests in order to keep down overall costs for the conference from year to year. Staying at the hotel helps participants get the most out of our few days together and contributes to the future viability of CSMG.
When is the Gathering held?
The Gathering is held early each year at a time when Congress is in session, and close to the time of the President's annual "State of the Union" address. Usually, this means that CSMG occurs in January/February. The months of January to March are a common time that churches and other networks conduct advocacy visits to Congress so that these visits can have optimal effect on national policy.
What are the dates for this year's Gathering?
Saturday, January 28 through Tuesday, January 31, 2023.
When is registration open?
Online registration for CSMG 2023 opens in early fall 2022 and continues through early January 2023.
What are the registration fees for the Gathering?
The “early bird” registration fee for the entire Gathering in 2023 is $350 per person. Financial assistance is available for participants from diverse ethnic and ability backgrounds. In order to increase early registration, the registration fee increases closer to the event date. Rates for single-day(s) registration are also available. See the schedule of fees below.
Through Nov. 15, 2022
Nov. 16 - Dec. 30, 2022
Jan. 1-6, 2023
(On-site Only after Jan. 6)
Jan. 28-31, 2023
|Saturday, Jan. 28
|Sunday, Jan. 29
|Monday, Jan. 30
|Tuesday, Jan. 31
*Additional fees may apply to register for some pre-Gathering meetings and events.
How should I register for the Gathering?
Participants can choose to either register for the entire Gathering (Saturday – Tuesday) or register for individual days of the Gathering. Participants are strongly encouraged to register for the entire Gathering, and to participate in our state delegation advocacy visits to Capitol Hill on Tuesday, January 31.
What is the Gathering registration?
Gathering registration fees include admittance to most events, meetings, and meal functions taking place from the afternoon of Saturday, January 28, 2023, through Tuesday, January 31, 2023, with the following exceptions: any event listed in the agenda or CSMG App as limited to a particular group or by invitation only, and additional fees may also apply for some pre-Gathering events organized by CSMG collaborating organizations.
What is daily Gathering registration?
Daily Registration allows attendees to register for activities by particular day(s) of the Gathering. Daily Registration fees range from $135 to $215 per day, depending on which day of the Gathering is selected, and the date on which registration is completed.
What is a pre-Gathering meeting?
Pre-Gathering meetings are an opportunity for national Catholic organizations collaborating in presenting CSMG to meet with their membership to plan, learn, strategize, share, organize, and celebrate their efforts. At CSMG 2023 pre-Gathering meetings will occur in the morning and afternoon of Saturday, January 28. Pre-Gathering meetings are not directly associated with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and the organizations presenting pre-Gathering meetings are solely responsible for the content of their meetings.
Who should attend pre-Gathering meetings?
Pre-Gathering meetings are intended for persons who are colleagues, members, or guests of one or more of the national Catholic organizations collaborating in presenting CSMG. The topics of pre-Gathering meetings are often somewhat more specialized than the general program for CSMG.
This is my first time attending CSMG – will there be an orientation or training for new participants?
Yes, if this will be your first time at the Gathering it is strongly recommended that you attend the First-Time Participants Orientation on the afternoon of Saturday, January 28, from 1:30 - 2:00 p.m. This will be immediately followed by Advocacy Training 101 which will assist those who are not very familiar with legislative advocacy in developing basic foundations and skills.
How can I register for the Gathering?
Online registration will be open through Friday, January 6, 2023. We accept payment by credit card (MasterCard and Visa only). If you have a need to pay by check or you have questions about payment for registration, please contact CSMG@usccb.org.
Can I register a group of people?
Yes, there is an option to register a group of people at one time. Please see special instructions within online registration for individuals registering three or more participants and covering all fees with one payment. For more information, please contact CSMG Registration at CSMG@usccb.org.
What forms of payment are accepted?
We accept payment by credit card (MasterCard and Visa only) or checks (personal and organization checks). Check payments are to be made payable to "CSMG 2023," and must be postmarked no later than Friday, January 6, 2023. Any request for cancellation of CSMG 2023 registration must be received by Friday, December 30, 2022, to be eligible for a refund. A $50 administrative fee will be deducted in cases of refunds (or $20 for pre-Gathering meetings/events). If you have questions about payment for registration, please contact CSMG Registration at CSMG@usccb.org.
How do I make my hotel reservations?
Participants are responsible for making their own hotel reservations by visiting Hyatt Regency Washington reservations online or by phoning 1-202-737-1234 and mentioning the "2023 Catholic Social Ministry Gathering."
What are the hotel rates for the Gathering?
Our preferred conference hotel room rate per night is $199 (single/double rate), $224 (triple rate), $249 (quad. rate) plus 14.95% D.C. sales tax. These rates are not guaranteed after Friday, January 6, 2023.
What is the cut-off date for making hotel reservations using the preferred conference rate?
The cut-off date for the CSMG preferred conference hotel room rate is Friday, January 6, 2023. Attendees are strongly encouraged to register for the Gathering and reserve their hotel room as soon as possible. To reserve your hotel room, call 1-202-737-1234 or go online to Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill reservations.
Whom should I contact to modify or cancel my hotel registration?
To modify or cancel your hotel reservations contact Hyatt Regency Washington Reservations (1-202-737-1234).
What airports are most convenient for attending CSMG 2023?
There are three airports in the Washington, D.C. area:
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) is located approximately 5 miles from downtown Washington, D.C.
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) is located approximately 29 miles from downtown Washington D.C.
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) is located approximately 32 miles from downtown Washington, D.C
How will I get to the Gathering from the airport?
Listed below are several modes of ground transportation to get to the Gathering. Please note all service rates are subject to change without notice.
From Washington Reagan National Airport
- Driving: Drive north on Thomas Ave or Smith Blvd, following the sings for George Washington Memorial Parkway. Merge onto George Washington Pkwy and then use the right lane to merge onto I-395 N via the ramp to Washington. Keep right at the fork to stay on I-395 N, follow signs for Interstate 395 N/D St N.W./US Senate/C St S.W./US Capitol/The House. Then take exit 9 toward D St NW. Keep right at the fork, following signs for D St NW. Turn right onto D St NE. Turn left at the 2nd cross street onto New Jersey Ave NW. Then turn left into the Hyatt Regency Washington parking lot.
- Metrorail (D.C.'s subway system): Look for the "Metro" signs in the airport to reach the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Station Purchase a MetroCard with sufficient fare to reach the Archives-Navy Memorial-Penn Quarter Station (approximately $2.30 one-way non-rush hour; $2.65 one-way rush hour) or Union Station (approximately $2.65 one-way non-rush hour; $2.85 one-way rush hour). To reach the Archives-Navy Memorial-Penn Quarter station, take the yellow line towards Greenbelt and exit after 5 stops. Exit the station via Archives Metrorail Station – 7th St, North of Pennsylvania Ave, then head north on 7th St towards D St. Turn right on D St. Keep walking straight until you reach New Jersey Ave NW. Turn right on New Jersey Ave NW and the hotel will be on the left. To reach Union Station, which is closer to the hotel, take the blue line towards Largo Town Center then switch onto the Red Line towards Glenmont at Metro Center. Or, take the yellow line towards Greenbelt and switch onto the Red Line towards Glenmont at Gallery Place/Chinatown. Once exiting at Union Station, cross Columbus Circle to reach E St NE. Stay on E St NE, then turn left onto New Jersey Ave NW and the hotel should be on the right. Check your preferred map app for accurate times, fares, and other route options, including taking a Metro Bus which can be paid using the same MetroCard.
- Taxi: Taxis are available outside the baggage claim area in any terminal. The fare can be anywhere from $15 - $40 (one-way) depending on traffic.
- Shuttle Service: Super Shuttle vans are available at all three Metropolitan Airports. Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 1-800-258-3826 (1-800-BLUE-VAN), for more information.
From Dulles International Airport
- Driving: The fastest route to Washington is the toll road VA-267 E, which is about 40 minutes. From Aviation Drive, keep straight by following signs for VA-28/Sterling and then follow signs to merge onto VA-267 E. After about 14 miles, merge onto I-66 E. Take exit 75 toward I-395 and continue following VA-110 S until the I-395 ramp to US-1 N/Washington. Take this ramp and merge onto Army Navy Dr to turn right onto S Eads St. Turn right again to merge onto I-395. Follow signs to stay on I-395 N. Take exit 9 toward D St NW. Turn right onto D St NW and then turn left onto New Jersey Ave NW. The hotel will be on the left.
- Rail/Bus/Shuttle: Rail/Bus/Shuttle: From the Dulles International Airport, connect to Metrorail on the Silver line toward Downtown Largo. Stay on the Silver line until Metro Center Station, where you can switch onto the red line towards Glenmont and get off at Union Station. Super Shuttle vans are available at all three Metropolitan Airports. Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 1-800-258-3826 (1-800-BLUE-VAN), for more information.
From Thurgood Marshall Baltimore Washington International Airport
- Driving: From Friendship Rd, take I-195 W by following signs for Md-295/Interstate 95. Then take exit 2B towards MD-295 S/Baltimore-Washington Pkwy and stay on the Pkwy until reaching Washington. Take exit 1B-C onto I-695. After 1.5 miles, take exit onto I-395 N. In the tunnel, take exit 9 towards D St NW. Then, turn right onto D St NW and left onto New Jersey Ave and the hotel will be on the left.
- Train and Metrorail: Take the free shuttle from the Airport to BWI Marshall Rail Station and take the MARC Penn Line Train to Union Station. You can purchase a ticket online through the CharmPass app or at a kiosk at the BWI Rail Station. The train fare will be $8. Use the directions above to walk to the hotel from Union Station, which is about a 6–8-minute walk.
- Taxi: Fares to the hotel are approximately $90- 130 (one-way).
- Shuttle: Super Shuttle vans are available at all three Metropolitan Airports. Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 1-800-258-3826 (1-800-BLUE-VAN), for more information.
Cancellations & Refunds
Will I be able to cancel my meeting registration?
Any request for cancellation of CSMG 2023 registration must be in writing and received by the following dates, to be eligible for a refund. Refund or requests should be directed to CSMG Registration at @email. Any request for cancellation of CSMG 2023 registration must be received by Friday, December 30, 2022, to be eligible for a refund. A $50 administrative fee will be deducted in cases of refunds (or $20 for pre-Gathering meetings/events). If you have questions about payment for registration, please contact CSMG Registration at @email.
If I paid with a credit card, will the refund be issued to my credit card?
Yes, refunds will be made to any credit card by which payment was made, minus the administrative fee.
How long will it take to receive a refund?
Refund requests received before the deadline will be processed within 7-10 business days.