1. What is the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
The Catholic Social Ministry Gathering is an annual conference organized by USCCB's Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development in collaboration with 18 other national Catholic organizations and 10 other departments of the U. S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. It is rooted in the Word of God, the Sacraments, and the Church’s living Catholic social tradition. The Gathering builds solidarity, knowledge, and skills among social ministry leaders in local dioceses, religious congregations, Catholic educational institutions, and other national Catholic organizations. Together, we live and share the Church’s social mission for the common good and the evangelization of the world.
2. What is the purpose of the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
The purposes of the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering are:
- to share and apply Catholic Social teaching
- to share information and strategies on priority domestic and international issues affecting the life and dignity of the human person
- to prepare and organize participants to carry the message on issues both to Congress in Washington, D.C., and to constituencies and political leaders in their home arch/dioceses
- to deepen and strengthen participants efforts to develop leadership and capacity at the diocesan and parish level by sharing Catholic social teaching, providing workshops on skills and strategies, and by sharing materials and activities that are useful at the local level
- to gather in the context of the Catholic social tradition to teach, pray, and celebrate the work and accomplishments we share
3. Who should attend the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
Leaders and emerging leaders who seek to advocate for social justice issues as part of Catholic communities and organizations including dioceses, parishes, educational institutions, or other local or national Catholic groups.
4. Where is the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering held?
The Gathering is normally held in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, which makes it convenient for participants to travel to Capitol Hill for their lobby visit(s). In 2021, CSMG will be virtual because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
7. When is the Gathering held?
The Gathering is held early each year at a time when Congress is in session, and close to the time of the President's annual "State of the Union" address. Usually, this means that CSMG occurs in January/February. The months of January to March are a common time that churches and other networks conduct advocacy visits to Congress so that these visits can have optimal effect on national policy.
8. What are the dates for this year's Gathering?
Saturday, February 6 through Tuesday, February 9, 2021.
- When is registration open?
On-line registration for CSMG 2021 opens in November 2020 and continues through early February 2021.
- What are the registration fees for the Gathering?
The registration fees for the entire virtual Gathering in 2021 is $50 per person. Financial assistance is available for those experiencing financial hardship and for participants from diverse ethnic and ability backgrounds.
- This is my first time attending CSMG – will there be an orientation or training for new participants?
Yes, if this will be your first time at the Gathering it is strongly recommended that you attend the orientation to the virtual platform which will occur prior to the conference. An email will be sent to all registrants with information about how to participate.
- Can I register a group of people?
Yes, there is an option to register a group of people at one time. Please see special instructions within online registration for individuals registering three or more participants and covering all fees with one payment. For more information please contact CSMG Registration (844-293-7034).
- What forms of payment are accepted?
We accept payment by credit card (MasterCard and Visa only) or checks (personal and organization checks). If you have questions about payment for registration, please contact CSMG@cvent.com.
Cancellations & Refunds
- Will I be able to cancel my meeting registration?
Any request for cancellation of CSMG 2021 registration must be in writing and received by the following dates, to be eligible for a refund. Refund or requests should be directed to CSMG Registration at CSMG@Cvent.com. For general registrants, a $5.00 fee will be deducted for refunds requested by Dec. 31, 2020. A $25.00 fee will be deducted for refunds requested between Jan. 1 and Jan. 31, 2021. After Jan. 31, 2021, no refund will be available. For scholarship recipients, a $5.00 fee will be deducted for refunds requested by Dec. 31, 2020. A $10.00 fee will be deducted for refunds requested between Jan. 1 and Jan. 31, 2021. After Jan. 31, 2021, no refund will be available.
- If I paid with a credit card, will the refund be issued to my credit card?
Yes, refunds will be made to any credit card by which payment was made, minus the administrative fee.
- How long will it take to receive a refund?
Refund requests received before the deadline will be processed within 7-10 business days.